Tofu, Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry
Tofu, Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry made of tofu, asparagus, and shiitake mushrooms in a savory stir-fry sauce. Healthy and delicious, it's a meatless dish you'll love on its own or with steamed rice!
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch (about 2 cups) asparagus, ends trimmed and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
For the Stir-fry Sauce
- 1 cup water or liquid from soaking the dried mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a small bowl, cover mushrooms with warm water and soak for about 20 to 30 minutes or until soft. Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid if using. Cut off and discard stems. Cut caps into thin slices.
Wrap tofu in paper towels, set on a wire rack or colander, and weigh down with a plate for about 15 to 20 minutes to extract moisture. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
In a bowl, combine stir-fry sauce ingredients: water (or soaking liquid), oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar, cornstarch, pepper. Stir until smooth and well-blended. Set aside.
In a wide skillet or wok over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add asparagus and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until half-done. Add mushrooms.
Add stir-fry sauce and bring to a simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add tofu and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until tofu cubes are heated through and asparagus is tender-crisp. Serve hot.
Serving: 286g | Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.3g | Fat: 7.5g | Saturated Fat: 1.3g | Sodium: 1158mg | Potassium: 356mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9.1g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 3.4mg