Sinigang na Hipon sa Calamansi
Sinigang na Hipon sa Calamansi is the ultimate cold-weather comfort food! With plump shrimp, tender-crisp vegetables, and a refreshing calamansi flavor, this Filipino sour soup is perfect with steamed rice.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 5 cups rice washing or plain water
- 1 onion. peeled and quartered
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce to taste
- 1 cup daikon radish, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound shell-on shrimp, tendrils trimmed, washed and drained well
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed calamansi juice
- 2 cups pak choi, stems trimmed and leaves separated
- salt to taste
In a pot over medium heat, bring rice washing or water to a boil.
Add onions, tomatoes, and radish. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add shrimp, calamansi juice, and fish sauce.
Continue to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimps color changes to pink and vegetables are tender yet crisp.
Add spinach leaves, pushing down into broth with back of spoon. Turn off heat, cover and allow residual heat to soften leaves.
Season with salt to taste. Serve hot with fish sauce on the side, if desired.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 286mg | Sodium: 1682mg | Potassium: 453mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5285IU | Vitamin C: 92.2mg | Calcium: 325mg | Iron: 3.8mg