Beef Caldereta with beef cubes simmered to perfect tenderness in a spicy tomato sauce. Chockfull of potatoes, bell peppers, and green olives, this classic Filipino stew is hearty, tasty, and perfect for family dinners and special occasions.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds bottom round roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 4 Thai chili peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup liver spread
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and carrots and cook until lightly browned. Remove from pot and drain on paper towels.
Remove oil from the pan except for about 2 tablespoons. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp.
Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and chili peppers. Bring to a boil, skimming scum that may float on top.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Lower heat, cover and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
Add potatoes, carrots, and continue to cook until tender.
Add liver spread and cheese, stirring to combine until well-distributed. Continue to cook until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened.
Add bell peppers and olives cook for another 1 to 2 minutes until tender yet crisp. Serve hot.
Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 829mg | Potassium: 1325mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 102.1% | Vitamin C: 77.9% | Calcium: 15.5% | Iron: 38.4%