Pineapple Chicken Afritada
Pineapple Chicken Afritada is a delicious twist on a classic Filipino stew. With a rich tomato sauce, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers and a touch of sweetness from pineapples, it's hearty and delicious!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 pounds chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice (from canned pineapples)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil.
Add potatoes and carrots and cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned. Remove from pan drain on paper towels.
Remove excess oil except for about 1 tablespoon. Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 to 40 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned.
Add fish sauce and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring as needed.
Add tomato sauce and reserved juice from canned pineapples (about 1 cup). Bring to a boil.
Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add potatoes, and carrots, and continue to cook until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened.
Add green peas, pineapple chunks, and bell peppers and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 552mg | Potassium: 932mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 50.5% | Vitamin C: 58.7% | Calcium: 6.7% | Iron: 25.2%