As a Filipino in the U.S. without complete access to ingredients indigenous to the Philippines, I, at times, have to substitute this for that and that for this in recreating the dishes I grew up with. A good example would be my chicken tinola and ginisang munggo with chicharon. I use spinach leaves as I do not have consistent access to the more traditional malunggay or ampalaya leaves.
Still, considerable variety of Filipino food products are now being imported and made available for us Filipino-American consumers. On most occasions, I have to forgo of “freshness” as these items come pre-packaged or frozen but the convenience and time-saving elements are trade offs I don’t quite mind. If I have to peel and grate cassava roots, crack and milk coconut heads, I’d just as soon forget about making this cassava cake with custard topping. But by simply heading to the freezer section for already-grated cassava and walking down the aisle for canned coconut milk, I can have, in a matter of minutes, this delightful cassava treat baking nicely in the oven.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 2 packages (14 oz each) grated cassava
- 1 bottle (12 oz) macapuno strings
- 2 cans (14 oz each) coconut milk
- 2 cans (14 oz each) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- Using the melted butter or margarine, grease bottom and all sides of baking pan.
- In a deep bowl, combine grated cassava, macapuno strings, coconut milk, condensed milk and sugar. Stir well and pour mixture into prepared baking pan. to about ¾ full. Bake in a 375 F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and pour custard topping mixture over surface of cake. Return back to oven and continue to bake until top sets and lightly browns.
- Allow to cool and then slice into serving pieces.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Stir well. Pour over surface of cake and return to oven to bake until set.